Welcome to CT's Blog! I will be keeping you up to date with all the news from Supernova Custom Drums and sharing some of my own thoughts. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ray Luzier...

I was really surprised when Korn replaced David Silveria, (and a short-lived appearance from Terry Bozzio), with the great Ray Luzier (Drummerworld). Not because he is a bad player, quite the opposite, because he really is THAT good!!! Not that Silveria's playing isn't good, he was an early influence for me, it's just they are such different players.

I first took note of Ray's playing with David Lee Roth, namely on his 'DLR Band' album. His playing on that record is fantastic, dare I say, taking influence from Alex Van Halen's playing but also adding his own sound to it. A few years later I bought his DVD where he really showcases what he can do behind the drums. There are a few track from Billy Sheehan's 'Cosmic Troubadour' album as well as some from his band The Hideous Sun Demons. They are musically very progressive and Luzier nails each of them perfectly. Subsequently I went out and bought those albums too!

Ray Luzier
I've had the song 'Oildale' by Korn in my head for the last few hours. The groove is simple but very effective and is not really the 'norm'. I think it shows perfectly how innovative Ray is on the drums.

Oh, and if you are ever lucky enough to meet him, it's pronounced 'Lose-ear'!

Ray demonstrating the groove to 'Oildale'. Give it a go!



Track of the Day - Korn 'Oildale'

No comments:

Post a Comment